The first 50 years
During the great panic of 1893, The Beth-Eden Centenary Baptist Church was dedicated on January 13th. One hundred years before this date George Washington laid the cornerstone of the national capitol. Perhaps it was because of this historical fact that the word "Centenary" was made a part of the church name. By common consent and usage this word and the hyphen between (Beth-Eden) have been dropped, but officially the name has never been altered from the way it appeared on the paper of incorporation filed April 25th, 1893. However, the three words as they stand today, "Beth Eden Baptist," speak volumes in the church world. The following is an account of the dedication services, which appeared in THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS, Friday, Dec. 9, 1892.
Beth Eden Baptist
Dedication of a Handsome
New Church at Homer
and the Boulevard
Rev. Dr. Waters Delivers a Warm
Address of Welcome to Visitors.
The new Homer Avenue Baptist church near the corner of Homer Avenue and Boulevard was formally dedicated last night. There was a very large audience present and the ceremonies were very impressive. Rev. Dr. Waters delivered the address of welcome and offered up the dedicatory prayer. He was followed by Rev. Alexander Turnbull, who preached the dedicatory sermon. Rev. Frank Barnett, president of the Baptist ministers' association, delivered an address in behalf of the ministry. The services were interspersed with appropriate Scripture readings and hymns. The congregation is not yet formed, as the first prayer meeting was held there last Sunday, and was so well attended that there is no doubt as to its future success and prosperity.... The building and ground have cost in the neighborhood of $10,000. Rev. C. H. Walker is the pastor and will begin at once to organize the congregation."
The Rocky Mountain News, Dec. 9, 1892.
This church was the fourth to be built and first pastored by the Reverend Charles H. Walker. It was composed of twenty-seven charter members. Below is reproduced the record of organization
At a called meeting, held at the new church on Homer Avenue, on January 13, 1893, for the purpose of organizing a church, Rev. C. H. Walker was elected chairman and William Sutherland temporary clerk The following persons were organized into a Baptist Church, adopting the name of Beth-Eden Centenary Baptist Church: George W. Breed, Mrs. Eda L. Breed, Mary E. Breed, Mrs. George D. Stevenson, Mrs. Lydia M. Crocker, Mary G. Crocker, Emily S. Crocker, Rev. Charles H. Walker, Mrs. Lydia M. Walker, Mrs. Esther A. Reeks, Anna Worthman, Louis A. Henrich, H. P. Burnap, William G. Sutherland, Mrs. P. R. Brown, K. A. Pence, Mrs. K. A. Pence, Mrs. Mary J. Ruffner, Charles B. Chrysler, Mrs. Lillian Chrysler, Eva Chrysler, Mrs. N. E. Dunsmore, Mabel Dunsmore,Mrs. R. C. Thompson, James E. Raymond. After adopting Rules, Covenant and Articles of Faith, the following officers were elected: Rev.C. H. Walker, Pastor; C. B. Chrysler, Deacon; George W. Breed, R. C. Thompson, and George D. Stephenson, Trustees; H. P. Burnap, Treasurer.
When the Rocky Mountain Association met with the Boulder Baptist Church on November 9th to 1lth, the new church was composed of 57 members which sent the pastor and 6 delegates to the association and applied for membership in that body. It was welcomed into fellowship by singing "Blest Be the Tie that Binds." The report which these seven carried to the association was a gratifying one. The membership of the young people's society was 30; of the Women's Missionary Society 50; and of the Sunday School 220, with an average attendance in Sunday School of 188. The church property was valued at $12,000. The next year the membership was 100. It is not recorded, but it may be that the new church was too proud or too satisfied with their first fruits, for the next two or three years were lean ones. The year 1895, was one of trials and testings, discouragements and difficulties. Many members moved away, but the remaining ones had an abiding hope for brighter days and a stronger church for God. During the year 1896, the membership continued to decrease by removals and by deaths. God, in His wisdom, seemed to prune the young church as He had pruned the armies of Gideon. The report to the Association this year is interesting, not a long one but full of meaning. The church was in a healthier condition than during the previous year. "The present membership is faithful and united." Those seven significant words from the church letter should be repeated. "THE PRESENT MEMBERSHIP IS FAITHFUL AND UNITED." After a still further decrease in membership, the church was ready to bear fruit once more. Not satisfied with any previous records, the workers in Bible School showed an increased desire to win souls and soul-winning methods were stressed in the weekly prayer meetings. A goodly number of young folk became interested in the church. The pastor's home at 12th and Emerson was a large house and it was often used as a place of meeting and social activities. Both the pastor and his wife were popular with the young folk and worked a great deal with them. Perhaps here was laid the foundation for a church friendly and helpful to young people. At the turn of the century Rev. Walker resigned because of failing health, but the church was moving forward and all departments were in good condition when evangelist A. D. Carpenter was called as pastor. He had been filling the pulpit for some time while Rev. Walker was trying to regain his health in California. Rev. Carpenter moved onward with the church. Both were of one accord "Do all to the glory of God." Of this period of the church history, he writes in part:
"During my entire pastorate, the church was assisted financially by the State Convention and the Home Mission Society. At occasional intervals our State Superintendent would send me out to some other mission church to conduct evangelistic meetings, while he would come on Sundays and take my place in the Beth-Eden pulpit. "We had a vigorous Christian Endeavor Society and a fairly good Sunday School. A Sunday School contest started up great rivalry that ran the attendance up on the last Sunday of the contest to 500. As the school settled after the contest, its membership was doubled to what it was before it started. It is safe to say that the beginning of the school's growth may be dated from the above contest."
In 1904, the church again changed pastors, calling the Rev. John L. Beyl who found the church "united and hopeful," but concerned over the $1,000 debt which was due December 1. This, however, was paid by Rev. C. H. Walker, that generous man of God, who had already given so much. What a blessed Christmas present to the young church. In 1905 the church organized a mission in the Berkeley district. This year the name of the young people's society was changed from Christian Endeavor to B. Y. P. U. In 1906, the Rev. J. W. Cabeen replaced Rev. Beyl as pastor serving until 1910. The membership climbed to 247. The Rev. W. Callaway came to the church in 1910. During his pastorate the membership climbed steadily except for the last year he was with the church, 1913. That year it dropped to 270 from a high of 335 the previous year. He tendered his resignation and finished his work with the church in September. On the first of December 1913, the Rev. Adrian D. Berry began his work in Beth Eden. Souls were saved at almost every Sunday service. His pastorate here is a record of growth and improvement in department after department, and we can do no better than quote a few sentences from church letters to the Association for the years of his work here.
September 22-24 1914
Perhaps one of the most active departments of the church is the B.Y.P.U. The young people have made rapid strides in their work, accomplishing much, to the extent of being the only society in Colorado to gain the Standard of Excellence. The membership of the B.Y.P.U. has gained 89% since Jan. 1, 1914.
September 21-23 1915
The graded system has been installed in the Primary Dept. with excellent results. We hope to have the entire school graded as soon as possible" The B.Y.P.U. is exceptionally active and progressive. Our own Group Plan which was perfected by Rev. Berry has been highly successful and to such an extent that the State B.Y.P.U. has adopted this plan to be used by all local societies of the state. The B.Y.P.U. won a pennant at the National Convention again this year for having maintained the Standard of Excellence.
The Primary Dept. is graded and supplied with the most modern equipment. They are rapidly out-growing their present quarters and it is now a problem as to where to put the little folks. "The Woman's Mission Circle has been accomplishing a great deal during the year. They are supporting a Bible woman in China, aside from following the regular outline of work. "The Young Ladies' Society is now the World Wide Guild.
"During the year improvements have been made on the building giving some much needed additional S. S. room. "A Tither's Band has been organized with a membership of 28. By following the scriptural plan of bringing the whole tithe into the storehouse, this Band has made it possible for our church to close the year in a good financial condition. The Young People's Society has maintained its 'Standard of Excellence' for the fourth year. In S. S. a monthly Worker's Council has been an inspiration and help to teachers and officers. "During the coming year we desire, by the help of the Holy Spirit, to emphasize the work for teen age boys and girls. We also expect to greatly enlarge our Tither's Band."
Now we come to the year 1919, a year of trials and testings. Here is a picture of a church wounded, a church disappointed over its own shortcomings, a church keenly conscious of the loss it has sustained. But it is not a picture of a beaten church, ready to quit. No! It is a church that is still strong in the faith, humble and eager to do the will of God. The letter to the Association for this year is so vital, so alive, so full of pathos and hope, and so like a ray of light through a dark cloud that we quote it in full.
LETTER TO ASSOCIATION
Sept. 16-19, 1919
As we read our letter of a year ago and recognize that the things we expressed as our desired aims for the year just passed, have not at all been accomplished, we see that the Lord say of us as of Israel, through the Psalmist, "They have not known my ways." We did not know then the things before us. Our story is the story of many sister churches. Still we say with a clearer faith and a deeper love and reverence. "Thou art a gracious and merciful God." It is with sincere regret that we report the termination, Sept. 7th, of, the pastorate of Rev. A. D. Berry at Beth Eden. For nearly six. years he has been our faithful leader, guide, and inspiration, and as he goes to his new field in Northern California the prayers and good wishes of many friends go with him. Every branch of the church organization B.Y.P.U., S.S., and Women's Societies -- has remained faithful each in its respective field. Many leaders and workers in each of these organizations have been a blessing to the church. The members of the "Tither's Band" feel that they have been blessed according to the Lord's promises, and have no desire to return to the old way of supporting the work. The scourge that raced over our land leaving death and sorrow in its wake, took two of our number-- Mr. M. P. Brenneman and Miss Daisy Jolly. Our beloved Bro., Rev. James Larson, was shot down by a robber and the two sisters, Mrs. Alice Jones and Mrs. Frank Brown, had spent many years in active Christian service before going to their reward last winter. We are grateful that we have been permitted to again close our year with a clear state financially, as we have done every year during Bro. Berry's pastorate. As we stand on the threshold of this new church year it is not with the thought "Beth Eden will do this or that next year," but, "Here we are, Lord, use us as Thou wilt."
(Signed) Jessie Robbins, Church Clerk
Late in Dec. 1919, the Rev. W. A. Daniel came from Las Cruces, New Mexico to lead the church for a short time. A survey committee was appointed to make a special study of the church life and to make recommendations for activities which it felt would promote efficiency and spiritual life. P. J. Straub was one of those men who get a job and stay with it until the job is done in the right way. He began in 1903 as Sunday School Superintendent and served for more than a third of the time of the entire church history, after which he was Superintendent Emeritus for a number of years. If we view these fifty "P. J. STRAUB" years of Beth Eden history as a great picture, it will be noted that up to this time the background work was being brushed in by those who labored so faithfully for the advancement of the kingdom. With the coming of the eighth pastor, the Rev. Francis W. Starring in October 1922, the foreground of the picture began to take form in beautiful harmony against what had already been accomplished. The church seemed to enter into an era of greater influence and usefulness. Evangelism began to be stressed more and more. Despite the fact that some inactive members were dropped from the rolls, the membership showed a good increase. The church purchased two adjoining lots for future building, and a building fund was started, with a view to erecting an entirely new temple of worship. A Ford car was purchased for the use of the pastor so that he could minister to a scattered membership. The cost of its operation was put into the church budget.
The year 1925 found the old debt of the church paid in full, the people and pastor happy because of unity and fellowship, and the membership "about to launch upon a building enterprise which we feel to be beyond our ability. Our trust is in the Lord ... 'Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it'." It was a happy meeting of a people and a pastor when the Rev. Edward B. Hart came to the leadership of the church in August 1926. He began to plan with the church for rebuilding the temple of worship. "And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work." (Neh. 2:2.) The building fund began to grow but not at the expense of other departments. A few sentences from the letter of 1928 are significant:
"Our quota for missions last year was $2,000 and we raised $2,200.
"We are looking forward with renewed faith to the commencement of the new church building during the coming year. We had hoped that the building could be started this year, but a further study of the plans disclosed the fact that a larger amount would be needed for the first unit than was anticipated. The cost of the entire building, however, will be lower and we can well afford to wait awhile until the pledges reach the required sum."
What faith and work and patience and hope are required to build a new church. How God tests His children to see if they be worthy to build the temple. Another year passed and the building fund was still growing but the ground still unbroken. "We hope to start the new church building early next spring." The Rev. C. H. Walker and his good wife gave $1,000 to this great work. With all the preparation for a building program, Beth Eden did not neglect it's other work. Evangelism was stressed continually. Great spiritual blessings came from the revival meetings conducted by the Rev. Joshua Gravett. Members of the church distributed the Gospel of St. John in ninety blocks around the church, contacting the homes as to church affiliations. Two hundred ninety-six dollars and fifty cents was given to the Denver Rescue Mission besides keeping up with the regular missionary quota. Over one hundred volumes were added to the church library. The building fund kept growing for that great day when the first shovel of dirt would be turned. True faith is bound by no restrictions imposed by human problems. The financial crash of 1929 went down ignominiously in history, but in the trying year which followed a new Beth Eden building rose triumphantly justifying the faith of Pastor Hart and the faithful members of the church. The first new building was dedicated in the great panic year of 1893.
"Ground will be broken Sunday for a new Beth Eden Baptist Church. Mrs. Luta Reincke, who will lift the first spadeful of soil, has been a member longer than any other person of the present congregation having been baptized by the first pastor, the Rev. C. H. Walker. The men's Bible class has been meeting.in a garage for two years and the young married women's class in a neighboring resident. The membership is 420. "For four years funds have been coming in for a new church, until about $17,000 has been subscribed. The first pastor gave $1,000. Rev. E. B. Hart is pastor."
From THE DENVER POST, May 31,1930
In contrast to the above news item we here set down only a part of the church letter to the Association in 1931. It is as a song of triumph shouting the climax to years of faith and work. God's children have been found worthy to build a new temple of worship. Here is a portion of that shout of victory.
"The past year has been one of great blessing to all members following the ground breaking exercises observed June 1st for our new building. October 5th we observed the last communion service in the old church building, with services held for the first time in the new building in the basement auditorium Sunday, October 12th. The new church was erected at a total cost of $39,000, included in which is 1200 hours of donated labor by over 50 men of the church and congregation. The church greatly appreciated the contribution of time and labor. There is outstanding a debt of $12,000 on the building and $1,370 on the equipment. The first services held in the main auditorium were conducted by Evangelist Carl Bassett, who led us in a two weeks meeting in January. This proved to be the period of greatest harvesting during the year and brought unmeasurable blessing to our church. We thank God that in a real sense this meeting dedicated the new building to evangelism. The new building was formally dedicated Sunday afternoon, March 29th, 1931, with former pastor, Rev. P. W. Starring bringing the dedication sermon. It was a great day of fellowship with sister Baptist churches, a number of whose pastors attended and assisted in the program. Our average attendance in the Sunday School has increased from 236 a year ago to 271. Our experience shows that 80%, of the church membership comes from the Sunday School."
"Unto God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Blessed Trinity."
Congregation-- We dedicate this House.
"Unto Him that loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood."-Revelation 1: 5.
Congregation-- We dedicate this House.
"Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy."-Jude 24-
Congregation--We dedicate this House.
That the unbelieving may by faith in Christ, be "delivered from the power of darkness and ... translated into the kingdom of His dear Son --Colossians 1: 13-
Congregation--We dedicate this House.
That believers in Christ may "grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ-"-II Peter 3:18-
Congregation--We dedicate this House.
That we may "all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine "-Ephesians 4-13, 14
Congregation--We dedicate this House.
Unto our divinely-appointed task to "go ... into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature (Mark 16:15) and to "teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you" --Matthew 28:19, 20.
Congregation--We dedicate this House. Amen.
The decided increase in strength, growth, and wider influence which was noted during the ministry of Rev. Starring continued through the ten years of the leadership of Rev. Hart. Evangelism was stressed throughout his pastorate here. His Pre-Easter services will be long remembered as strengthening the faith and purpose of the membership. Interest in missions increased with many missionaries visiting the church and bringing a report of their work direct to the members. Among others were Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Skivington from the fields of Venezuela. While here Brother Skivington was ordained as a Baptist minister Feb. 21, 1933, before returning to his work in South America. After Rev. Hart left the church was without a regular pastor until rnid December. Then from the hot dry lands of Arizona came a man preaching. His message was as fresh as the waters of a living stream, a message that was solemnized by the shadow of the cross and brightened by the glory of a risen Christ. The Rev. Sam Bradford found a church ready to go forward so the march began. It is not often a fund is started for a purpose before someone has been appointed to handle and administer such money, but this is the way one was started for a new pipe organ. Folk began to make extra offerings marked "Organ Fund" so something had to be done about that. There were objections by some to buying at this time, in the midst of a long depression. But throughout its fifty years, Beth Eden has not only survived but actually thrived through money panics and business depressions. The new organ was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1938. Its' cost of $3,600 was paid during trying times and without any campaign to raise money for this or any other purpose. More years have crowned the membership and ministry of Mrs. Lula Reincke than of any other one of the church. She, too, has turned more shovels of dirt in groundbreaking ceremonies of Beth Eden than any other member. On May 12, 1939, she broke ground for the new educational unit.
Before this was completed, we were needing more room. So after a year and a day she wielded the shovel for the third time and the church continued on the march. The sound of hammers pounding and saws cutting mingled with the booming voices of men singing as they worked; some working through the heat of the day, and others in the evening after their work at office and shop was done; the sound of kitchen utensils and women busily engaged preparing refreshments for those who worked in the evenings; the walls rising brick by brick to the glory of God: This was the building of Beth Eden's educational units of the church. In the history of a church which is alive and vibrant with the power of God there comes a time when the pastoral load is too heavy for one man. Such a period came to Beth Eden. Turning down a raise in salary, the pastor asked for an assistant. After prayer and consideration by the church, Glen Bradford, brother of the pastor, of Arizona, was called as the assistant. It was not for preaching that assistance was needed but for leading and helping the young people as well as other duties of pastoral nature. From his first meeting with the young people, it was evident that Brother Glen was fitted for their needs. He has been a great Baptism. help and inspiration to them. He prepared a manual for use in their society and reorganized much of the work of that body. His duties are carried on in a quiet unassuming way which much of the church might not see, but the young people know the work that he is doing.
With the dedication of the new Sunday School and Educational unit on January 4, 1942, this building became the most modern and best equipped Baptist structure in the state. The intercommunication system is up to date and efficient. There is a microphone on the pulpit and services and programs can be heard in the prayer chapel from the loud speakers. The pews are wired and fitted with outlets for ear phones which are furnished those who are hard of hearing.
Chimes by transcription delight not only our own congregation but other folk as well for blocks around the church.
One of the most delightful and charming rooms in the entire building is the nursery.
Many of these things have been brought about by those of our members who have had a talent and a will to minister in some particular way.
During the building program, the Boulevard Baptist Church, formerly the Bethany Baptist Church, was merged with Beth Eden. The building at North Speer and Federal Boulevard was sold and the proceeds used to build Bethany Chapel at 25th Avenue and Clay Street, which was completed in 1940 and is free from debt. Brother P. Von Stillhammer is doing a wonderful work there as pastor
It's building program completed, the church was not content to rest on past achievements. The brethren learned of the Garden Homes District without a church but with a people eager to hear the Word.
For some time the folk there had been meeting in a garage building for church services and Sunday School. Many of our members ministered in a number of ways, preaching, teaching, furnishing music, and even conducting a daily vacation Bible School. Then on August 26, 1942, Beth Eden voted to spend about $2,000 to buy lots and build a chapel at South Lowell and Exposition. No burden of debt dims these bright achievements. On December 2, 1942, the church instructed the trustees to pay off the old debt which was the only one outstanding. There was a reserve in the treasury with which to do this. This came about without any campaign to raise money, without any suppers or bazaars to swell the building fund, without any prodding by the preacher to pry pieces of silver out of savings. A full treasury has come from a people who honor God with their substance. Many are tithers. The trustees and finance committee function for the purpose of administering funds and not to devise ways and means of raising money. This is not stated boastfully but humbly and thankfully that God may be honored and glorified.
"Hitherto hath the Lord helped us." I Sam. 7:12
Building on the foundations laid by faithful leaders and laborers of past years, Beth Eden has now become one of the great powers for God in the Rocky Mountain area. To be fair to those who have labored and to those who read this record and to give praise to our Father who has accomplished it all, we must, without pride, declare the glorious achievements that have crowned these years and consecrated efforts.
A list of all the names of those who have labored to build would read like a church directory of the membership. It is possible to call the roll of only a few in the various departments who have led in the march. But, we, here express appreciation to those who have served under those leaders and in other phases of the Lord's work. There are also those who have served by their regular attendance and giving.
"And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved." Acts 2:47
As we come to our year of jubilee, the church membership stands at 1234 divided in two congregations Beth Eden (the home church) and Bethany Chapel (at 25th and Clay St.). This membership has been attained by a steady healthy growth. The table of statistics at the back of the book shows, at a glance, the progress through fifty years.
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov. 22:6Beth Eden and Bethany
Sunday Schools combine to total the fruit of our united membership forming a school with near 1,000 enrollment and above 600 attendance.
Development of this great school has been accomplished under the leadership of Robert Nielsen and Dayton Root at Bethany and H. A. Graves, Gordon Newman and Alfred Honour at Beth Eden. Before these came the long faithful service of P. J. Straub serving the Sunday School for more than a third of the entire time since its organization.
There is a place for every age. The biggest little department is the nursery, a delight to any mother's heart, where the youngest generation is cared for in the very midst of Christian influence. Then up through the grades, the faithful service continues. It has been said that from the Sunday School comes 80% of the church membership.
Not because they are more important, but because they are the largest, mention is made here of two classes.
The MEN'S BIBLE CLASS has become a power in the church and an influence in the community under the leadership of W. V. Haynes, Harold Wolf and Russell Henderson as presidents of the class. Pastor Bradford has been teaching the class since coming to the church over six years ago.
A great class of women reorganized some five years ago has grown to a regular attendance of between 90 and 100. Mrs. H. Dawson, Mrs. Earl Weatherwax and Mrs. Frank Cook have served as presidents. The teaching of Mrs. Harry Johnson has been a help and an inspiration not measured in this world. The GLEANER'S CLASS is the pride of the church.
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim. 2:15.
To train our people in service, a work is developing in the training union that will serve the entire membership. Directors of this phase of ministry have been Aubrey Fleming, W. V. Haynes and Glen Bradford, our assistant pastor.
The Woman's Mission Society, under the leadership of Mrs. C. V. Englund and Mrs. Russell Henderson, has grown to proportions of importance and power with 21 community circles organized to study, pray and serve.
We thank God that Beth Eden has set the pace for evangelism in this state for the past five years. This has been due not only to the evangelistic sermons every Sunday but also to the power house of the church, a great prayer meeting with 150 to 200 in attendance.
Under the leadership of chairmen M. D. Price, F. D. Blanchard, H. Longneeker and Glenn McMahan, the board of deacons has become a great ministering body.
This board is truly the bulwark of the church, a power for God and an influence for good in the community. The long and faithful service of brother W. G. lewis and brother L. C. Latshaw as deacons is deeply appreciated and their presence is a strength and an inspiration to the membership.
Serving the spiritual needs of the women and girls of the church, the board of deaconesses has made a worthy contribution under the leadership of Mrs. A. R. Moody, Mrs. P. M. Hicks, Mrs. H. Longneeker, Mrs. R. H. Bron, and Mrs. E. L. Judd.
Beth Eden has come to be known as a singing church. Those who have built our program of music are: C. Ray McGlynn, Chas. Moody, Miss Lois Elliott, Mrs. Al Field, Mrs. Alfred Honour, Mrs. Sam Bradford and J. T. Hart. The pastor has directed a faithful choir for six years. Loyal servants at the instruments have been Mrs. K. W. Efaw, Mrs. Wayne Moody, Mrs. Arthur Turner, Mrs. Walt Larsen, Miss Alene Hahs and Miss Laura Fry.
"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse,
that there may be meat in mine house, and prove
me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will
not open you the windows of heaven, and pour,
you out a blessing, that there shall not be room
enough to receive it." Mal. 3. 10.
God has blessed in the stewardship of His people as our annual income has risen from $8,300 in the year ending April 30, 1937 to above $25,000 for this present year.
We especially praise our Master for the privilege of generous giving for missions. This year, we shall pass the $6,000 mark in total missions. Our people gave more than $1,000 for the World Emergency Fund.
The growth of the church and the large increase in giving of funds for the Lord's work has placed heavy burdens of business responsibility on the board of trustees. The board has been led in the stewardship of God's funds under the leadership of Joseph Arnett, John Brouse, Tilden Cox, Walter Harris, Frank Negri and George Nahley.
"Not unto us, 0 Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake." Psalm 115: 1.
"Where there is no vision, the people perish." Prov. 29:18.
We have looked back over the road which we have traveled as a church. The peak which we have reached in this year of victory is but a vantage point from which to view the opportunities which lie beyond this golden milestone. It is entirely fitting and proper that our pastor should open for us this vision which lies ahead. Certainly no other one is better fitted to do this service.
No prophet is needed to behold the future of Beth Eden. No dreamer need speak to proclaim its march in years to come.
The foundation of this church is laid on Christ Jesus. Its gospel is all the Word. Its power is the spirit of God. Its rule of conduct is to do all things to the glory of God. The desire of its people is sacrifice for Jesus Christ.
With such a platform, there can be nothing before but victory, not easy victory, but victory.
With congregations overflowing the sanctuary and crowding every available seating space, there must rise an auditorium to accommodate the multitudes who come seeking the Christ whose Word we preach.
With hundreds of children thronging our Sunday School and church, we must meet the need in organization, personnel and equipment to give them the best of spiritual training and experience.
With increasing spiritual power and zeal Beth Eden shall march with Him to greater victories year by year. As the church has set the pace for Colorado Baptists in all phases of ministry and service for the past six years, so the example of this church shall spread to inspire zeal and victorious spirit in ever widening circles.
Until Jesus comes, we'll work!